Surrender to this luxurious chocolate souffle. This is an easy chocolate souffle recipe. You only need five ingredients to make this decadent chocolate souffle for two. You can make ahead or freeze the chocolate souffle. It’s even more sumptuous when you part the top of the chocolate souffle and slip in a scoop of vanilla ice cream or serve with creme anglaise. | Video
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 Tablespoons (1 oz.) unsalted butter
2 large eggs, separated
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup (1 oz.) confectioners’ sugar
1 Tablespoon chocolate liqueur
1. Lightly butter two 6-ounce souffle dish and dust with granulated sugar, tapping out excess. Set the ramekins on a small baking sheet. Set aside.
2. In bowl over saucepan of hot water (not boiling) or in a microwave, melt chocolate with butter. Remove from the heat and whisk until glossy and smooth. Stir in the chocolate liqueur and the salt.
3. In separate bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, and beat in 3 tablespoon of the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
4. In another bowl, beat egg yolks with remaining sugar until thick and pale yellow. Beat in chocolate mixture until incorporated. Fold in one-quarter of the egg whites; gently fold in remaining whites. Divide into prepared container. (Can be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 4 hours or freeze for up to two weeks.)
5. Place dish on baking sheet. Bake in lower third of 375°F oven for 18 minutes or until puffed and the exterior is set but interior is still a bit loose and creamy and risen about 1-inch above the ramekin.Careful not to overbake. Dust souffles with powdered sugar and serve immediately as is or with vanilla ice cream or creme anglaise. (To bake straight from the freezer, unwrap the ramekins and set on a small baking sheet or jellyroll pan. Let them sit for 20 min. while heating the oven to 400°F. Bake on the baking sheet until puffed and risen about 1 inch above the ramekin, 18 min.)
Kitchen Notes: For step-by-step recipe with photos get Desserts Magazine Issue #2.