No need to wait until Valentine’s Day to share these heartwarming strawberry-filled chocolate heart sandwich cookies. Anyone can make these easy and quick cookies. A fun project for kids. You can fill with your favorite jam and use a different cookie cutter shape.
Makes 18 to 26 sandwich cookies
1 pouch (17.5 ounces) sugar cookie mix, Betty Crocker ®
1/2 cup plus 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, Ghirardelli’s ®
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup strawberry jam, Knott’s ®
White, red, and pink sparkling sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir together cookie mix, cocoa powder, butter, and egg until dough comes together. Shape mixture into a ball and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Using a 2 1/2-inch heart-shape cookie cutter, cut out shapes. Reroll dough scraps and cut out more cookies until all of the dough is used. Space half of the cookies 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are light brown. Cool on cookie sheets on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack; cool completely.
4. Using a 1 1⁄4-inch heart-shape cookie cutter, cut out the centers of the remaining cookies. Space cut-out hearts 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Arrange the heart centers on another prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are light brown. Cool on cookie sheets on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack; cool completely.
5. Spoon about a teaspoon of the strawberry jam onto each of the whole cookies. Top with cut-out cookies. Spread half of the cut-out heart centers with some of the remaining jam; top with remaining cut-out heart centers.
Recipe and photograph reprinted with permission from Bake Sale Cookbook: 165 Simple Sweets & Savory Sensations (Wiley). Bake Sale Cookbook: 165 Simple Sweets & Savory Sensations has been featured in the 28th issue of Desserts Magazine.
Bake Sale Cookbook: 165 Simple Sweets & Savory Sensations by Sandra Lee
Paperback: 240 pages
Publisher: Wiley; 1 edition
I WANT THIS