A lattice crust takes a little bit of extra effort, but it adds a professional-looking touch to pies. Watch and learn how to create a lattice crust for pies.
Try these step-by-step directions:
1. Start by rolling out a disc of dough to the size indicated in the recipe.
2. With a sharp knife, cut twelve 3/4-inch strips of dough from a 13-inch round.
3. Place 6 strips of dough atop the filling, evenly spaced apart. You should have 6 graduated strips.
4. To weave the dough, fold every other strip in half over itself.
5. Taking a new strip of dough, place it perpendicular to the folded strips atop the pie filling.
6. Return folded strips to the edge of the pie, laying them over the perpendicular strip.
7. Repeat, with the alternating 3 strips of dough, folding each in half over itself and topping with a new strip of dough.
8. Repeat with remaining 4 strips of dough.
9. Before baking, brush on a glaze made from 1 egg yolk, beaten with 2 teaspoons water until well blended. Sprinkle with sugar (optional).